Pages

August 2, 2011

Dill Pickles & Canned Green Beans.....

The processes are different...
but the end results are the same!
Food put up in jars
for the long winter months ahead.
Our family favorite...   DILL PICKLES
This recipe has been used for a few generations
 on my husband's side of the family! I used
my mom's recipe for a while... then after
trying this dill pickle, sorry mom, but
this is got my vote!! I've been making
this recipe for the past 28 years!


Ingredients above....  cucumbers, grape leaves
and dill heads! Yup... we grow our dill and use
the heads. I've also used the fern part too
when I run short! (SIDE NOTE: the ferns
are awesome in cucumber or potato or tuna salads!)
Wash the  grape leaves & dill heads. Put one
in each WASHED & WELL CLEANED quart jar.
Then, wash the cucs, slice and put in the
jars too! Top with 1 tsp. of alum and
add the BOILING HOT brine.
(10C water, 5C cider vinegar, 1C salt)
(USE CANNING SALT)
Seal the jars with hot, clean lids & screw tops!
This recipe as it has been handed down doesn't
call for water bathing. BUT... I KNOW THE USDA
GUIDELINES SAY THEY OUGHT TO BE. IF YOU
MAKE THESE PICKLES... PLEASE USE YOUR
DISCRETION & READ UP ON THE GUIDELINES
FOR YOURSELF & MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICES.

NEXT on our agenda for the day was green beans!
Pete, being the wonderful, helping husband that he is,
picked, washed & cut up all the green beans! HE EVEN
FILLED ALL THE PINT JARS FOR ME!!
I added 1/2 teaspoon of
canning salt and then boiling water leaving 1 inch
of head space before putting the lids on.

IF I WAS USING QUART JARS
 I'D NEED TO ADD 1 TSP OF SALT
(Head space is the amount of air space between the
top of the vegetable or fruit in the canning jar
and the underside of the lid.)


Now the jars go into the pressure canner. Inside
I had about 2 inches of hot water. The jars are added
and the top put on and sealed. The stove heats up the water
and pressure builds... this type of canner is controlled by
the heat from the fire. If it has too much pressure, we turn
down the fire or if there is too little, we turn it up.

CHECK THE USDA GUIDELINES FOR
WHAT IS REQUIRED FOR WHERE YOU LIVE.
I cook them at 10 pounds of pressure
for 20 minutes for pints.

No comments: