Pages

January 5, 2011

Chicken Gnocchi Soup... YUMMY!

We REALLY enjoy going to the Olive Garden for the soup, salad and bread sticks lunches!! We all have our favorites and mine is definitely the chicken gnocchi (no-kee) soup!! After the first lunch out, I came home and tried to duplicate it. It was pretty good. I have searched the online recipe sites for a good gnocchi recipe and discovered, they are not that difficult to make! I've made this soup a few times and have finally decided to put it down on 'paper'!

Here's my version...  WITH A DISCLAIMER...  I DID USE SOME SHORT CUTS... this doesn't have my own base (although that is easy enough to do) and I didn't make my own gnocchi this time! (again, easy to do... go to All Recipes if you want the full experience.)

After friend of mine discovered that you can buy pre-made, frozen gnocchi, I had to try it! Audrey and I made this last night!! It was awesome...  if I do say so myself! :)

"Chicken Gnocchi Soup"
Ingredients:

1 10 oz. bag of julienned carrots (or 1-2 shredded carrots)
1-2 stalks thinly sliced celery
4 chicken breasts, diced
1/2 small onion, diced (optional)
Approx. 6 oz. of fresh baby spinach 
2  16 oz. bags frozen potato gnocchi (I used Mama Rosie's brand)

Saute the carrots, celery, chicken & onion in a large stock pot with a maybe an inch of water.
When the veggies and meat are thoroughly cooked, do not drain and add the following...

2 family size cans of cream of chicken soup
2 regular size cans of cream of chicken soup or cream of celery soup
fat free half & half  (one large soup can worth or less) You can also use milk, all water, or cream.
water  (two large soup can worth... add more if you'd like)


Mix well and heat the soup, but don't bring to a boil. At this point, stir in the fresh baby spinach and turn off the heat and set it aside. Now, fill another pan with about 2 quarts of water and bring to a boil. Add the frozen gnocchi and cook according to the package instructions (they will float when they are done). Drain and add them to the soup. Re heat the soup and you are ready to serve.... 

Delicious in a bread bowl or in a regular bowl!! A definite hit with my family!! ENJOY!

NOTE: My family members are big soup eaters, therefore this recipe makes A LOT of soup!! You can definitely cut this recipe in half by using only one large can of soup or one large & one small one (then I'd use 1/2 can of water and 1/2 can of milk product). Tweak the recipe to your own liking....  it is alot of fun to play and come up with your own creations!! HAVE FUN! :)

Comment from Audrey, "Our soup has more of a chicken flavor to it then the O.G. soup." We may use two small cans of celery soup instead of all chicken next time. Either way, it tastes great! 


No comments: