February 3, 2010


Here's another new adventure to check out..... the art of dehydrating fruits & veggies! I was looking online to see if I could find any second hand dehydrators when Pete reminded me that we had one! (I thought we had gotten rid of it years ago!)

I found it right where he said it would be! Now, I need to clean it up and RE-try this whole dehydrating process! I liked the idea years ago, but had too much on my plate to give it much attention! Food storage could take up so much LESS space, and space is a huge commodity around here!  I'd like to try something easy like blueberries, mushrooms or peppers.... I'll keep you posted!  :)

UPDATE!!!  We cut up mushrooms and started the process of drying today! For the first three hours they are suppose to be at 95* and then the final 4-10 hours at 125*!!  This is what they looked like when we started it up......

Seven hours later this is what they look like....  and they have a couple more hours to go!

What would normally have fit, all cut up, into 1 gallon sized zipper bag, is now almost filling 1 quart sized zipper bag and is storable (without the possibility of freezer burn) in a cool, dark place like a pantry shelf!

(Recommended 60*F in an air tight container, ie: zipper bags or tightly sealed glass or plastic containers!)  Now on to batch number two!

No comments: