Pages

July 7, 2008

I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I plan to... (minus the black pepper)! I sounds so yummy that I thought you might like it too!! If you try it, please let me know how you liked it! :)

Provencal Spinach Pie

1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crust (2 crusts)
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella-Asiago-roasted garlic cheese, divided
1 tablespoon olive oil
12 ounces (12 cups) baby spinach leaves, washed
1 1/2 cups jarred spaghetti sauce with four cheeses
3 tablespoons jarred pesto
1 egg, beaten
ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 375 F. Fit one crust into a 9-inch pie pan, allowing excess crust to flop over the sides. Scatter half of the cheese into the crust. Set aside. Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the spinach. Cook, tossing, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Set aside. In a bowl combine the spaghetti sauce, pesto and egg. Stir to mix. Pour into the crust. Top with the spinach and remaining cheese. Sprinkle generously with pepper. Top with the remaining crust. Fold the edges of the top crust under the bottom crust. Pinch to seal. Pierce the top crust several times with a sharp knife. Bake until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly, about 40 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting. Servings: 4 to 6.

The Spaghetti Sauce Gourmet, by David Joachim (Fair Winds Press, 2006).

2 comments:

mad4books said...

Okay, inquiring minds (and tastebuds) want to know if you've tried the recipe yet!

Bethany came into town last weekend and requested a vegetarian version of my stuffed shells. I decided to wilt my own spinach instead of using frozen...and I COULD NOT BELIEVE how spinach shrinks in front of your very eyes. Twelve cups of spinach may sound shocking at first, but I'll bet I'll only have a sixth of that volume when it's done!

Bon appetit!

Melanie said...

I still haven't tried this yet... we've been on vacation (next post's topic!)and I just haven't had the chance. I hear you on the spinach though!! :( I double what I think I'll need for spinach or beet greens. (Both are finally ready for picking!

Let me know if you try this one!! Or if you share it with Bethany and she tries it... I'd like to hear how she likes it!! :)