Pages

January 16, 2007

Care for a cup of tea & a blueberry muffin??

Good Morning My Friend ....

The muffins are warm out of the oven and the tea water is still hot! (Sure, I'll make a pot of coffee... if you'd prefer!) I thought I'd share one our family favorite recipes with you! A number of years ago, Pete and the kids and I planted 30 blueberry bushes and watched them grow and eventually put out fruit... a few years after that we had SO MANY blueberries I was begging for people to come pick them! Honestly, we had sooo many blueberries in the freezer that I could bake muffins EVERY morning all year 'round (plus blueberry pancakes, pies and blueberry coffee cake on a regular basis) and JUST BARELY be finishing up our supply when it was time to start picking again! I think at one point we had 35 gallons (over-stuffed ziplock bags!). Can you imagine your kids NOT wanting hot, homemade muffins? Our kids were sick of them for a while! Oh what I would give to have that supply again... THANK GOD for my parent's generosity with their crop!! FYI: We did transplant some of the bushes from our old house to my parent's and we will order another dozen or so bushes this spring to be planted here!! Give us a few years and we'll be asking for help again!!
Here's my blueberry muffin recipe!! (As a side note... the original recipe, before I made a few changes to it, was that of Charlotte Pease. She was one of my dad's customers when I was a kid and she also has had the Pease Public Library in Plymouth named after her & her brother. He was one of the WWII pilots. They both passed away a long time ago.)



BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
1/4+ C. light olive oil or canola oil
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cider vinegar
1/2+ C. milk
1 egg
1 C. sugar
2 C. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1+ C. fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4+ C. chocolate chips
(Preheat your oven to 375*) Mix the first 6 ingredients well (I use a spoon) then add the flour & baking soda in and mix thoroughly. Add the blueberries & chocolate chips and fold in carefully... over-stirring will make the batter blue although it won't change the yummy flavor at all! (Trust me on this... I've done it a few times!) Spoon the batter into greased muffin tins (spray Pam will work too). Bake at 375* for approx. 20 minutes... or till they turn a golden brown!!

If your family is like mine, they will ask for them again and again! Let me know how yours came out... as you can see from the above picture, they don't stay around long enough in my house to take a picture of the full dozen!

I've enjoyed our visit.... hope you have too! Have a blessed day!

6 comments:

Anne said...

Delicious recipe! Coffee please... *wink* Well, Mel I have a little more to add to the PEASE history for those of you who are interested. Pease Air Force Base located in Portsmouth, NH was named after Charlotte's brother, Harl Pease. Charlotte's mother, Bessie's maiden name was Fox and the entire Fox Block was owned by Charlotte eventually after her mother's passing. Charlotte's father (not sure of his name) owned a car dealership in Plymouth as well. My Mum worked Friday, Saturday and Sunday, second shift as a private duty nursing staff to Charlotte's mother Bessie. I was five years old and very impressed on how terrible Mum would arrive home with her uniform and white nylons all torn up. Poor Mrs. Pease (Bessie) was never the same after the loss of her son. Charlotte was the nicest lady... very generous to her community and very down to earth.

Great post my friend! *wink*

Love & Hugs,
A :)

Anne said...

PS... Travis love the pretty dishes you picked out for Mum! The butter crock looks familiar too! *wink*

michelle5959 said...

DELICIOUS! I wish I was there... I'll have tea thanks! That's my favorite drink while relaxing with you around the dining room table! I'm so glad you shared your recipe. One question though... when it says 1/2+ C. something does that mean a little more than 1/2 c or 1/2 + 1 cup something?? it was a little confusing to me. I'm a real "recipe" follower the "pinch of this dash of that" thing is hard for me.

take care! Love Me!!

Melanie said...

Oooops, sorry... when I put 1/4+C. I mean the quarter of a cup and maybe another tablespoon if the batter needs a bit more liquid. The finished batter should not be as heavy as cookie dough but also not quite as runny as a cake batter. The original recipe called for 1/2 C. oil... I cut it down to 1/4 C. and I add a bit more milk or two eggs (when the hens are laying well)to compensate. I hope this clears up the confusion... sometimes I forget that not everyone ditches the measuring utensils or adjusts recipes to suit them! :) Let me know when you are coming.... I'll put the water back on!!
Love ya, Me

mad4books said...

My favorite line of the day? "When the hens are laying well" from your comment above.

I am a-comin' to N.H. to get me some blueberries and organic eggs...and to steal a muffin or two.

Love ya,
Ol' Freezy Fingers

Karen said...

I loved this post! Coffee for me, please. :-) I'm SO going to use this recipe. My husband said today that blueberries are his favorite flavor for pies, muffins, pastries, etc. I'm going to cook up a batch and surprise him!