Pages

June 30, 2011

A Fun New (to me) Word "Juxtaposition"....

I was reading a friend's blog this morning. In her writings she used the word 'juxtaposition'! I've never heard of this word before. My 3rd grade teacher Mrs. Bowie would tell me get a dictionary and look it up! Over the years, I found myself echoing that teacher (and many of my teachers) to my kids... get a dictionary! Although, I will say, I never told them to get a dictionary to look up a word to figure out how to spell it! That is one frustrating memory from my early elementary years! Ha ha ha...  oh the odd things we remember! Enough digressing...

Times have changed some... now I just need to click over one tab and type in the word and up comes many choices. I have used information from both "Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia" and "dictionary.com"

JUXTAPOSITION:  (noun)
1)  two random objects moving in parallel, a technique intended to stimulate creativity.  
2) an act or instance of placing close together or side by side, especially for comparison or contrast.


USED IN A SENTENCE: The interior designer like the juxtapositional look of my totally white kitchen with its blue backsplash!

What a fun word! Fun to say, fun to think about things that are juxtapositional! I thought it would have something to do with how things are positioned or seen as positioned... 

ORIGIN:   1655–65; < French < Latin juxtā side by side + French position position

OK, enough English lessons for today! (PS.. thanks Heide for unknowingly spurring me on)






No comments: