Pages

October 2, 2010

These Are A Few of My Favorite Things....

I totally agree with Julie Andrews, as Maria in the Sound of Music, when she sings, "My Favorite Things".

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens  (Take the time to look, they are amazingly beautiful things!)
Bright copper kettles  (Yes, my Revere ware desperately needs to be polished to make them.)
and warm woolen mittens  (I loved crocheting dozens of pairs of mittens for little friends over the years!)
Brown paper packages tied up with string  (usually a gift from overseas!)
These are a few of my favorite things.

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels    (a friend shared her mom's special strudel recipe with me! A sweet gift of love.)
Doorbells   (not so much)
and sleigh bells and    (Memories of Christmas!)
schnitzel with noodles  (We've actually had authentic Wiener schnitzel made by friends from Austria... It was yummy! Did you know that 'Wiener' this word comes from the word 'Wien', which is the Austrian city called Vienna, which is where are friends are from!)
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings   (I've been watching the geese gather and head on their journey South over the past couple of weeks... they are amazing birds!)
These are a few of my favorite things.

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes  
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes   (The first few snowfalls are very pretty!)
Silver white winters that melt into springs     (Don't you just love watching everything come to life again!)
These are a few of my favorite things


When the dog bites          (more month then money)
When the bee stings         (waking up to discover the water pump has problems AGAIN!)
When I'm feeling sad        (watching my husband work so hard but not getting much further ahead)
I simply remember my favorite things      (see the list above and below... just to name a few!) 
And then I don't feel so bad       (Me plus God is a majority ... and He can do ALL things! It really does help put life back into perspective!  Ahhh, there now, I feel better!)

More favorite things.....
God, who is the same always!
the fresh air after the rain
friends and unexpected calls or notes
hearing an old hymn from my childhood
crocuses as they poke up through the snow in springtime
the smell of babies after a bath
the smell of fresh baked bread
Christmas music on the radio in December
Pete & the kids playing music at home
reading a good book with a glass of iced tea
the innocence and trust in a child's eyes
the sound of waves lapping against the shoreline
a Bible verse that pops into my head at just the right moment
laughter of children
hot cup of tea in the morning
the innocent look on the faces of sleeping children
quiet mornings listening to the birds wake up all of creation
swinging on a lawn swing
little baby feet that have never felt the blades of grass or sandy beaches
the smell of laundry after it's dried on the clothesline
putting up the Christmas tree
the sound of leaves rustling as the wind passes through them
English spoken with a foreign accent
singing Christmas carols & drinking hot cocoa
cows mooing in the field
nostalgic memories & old movies
roosters crowing   (but not at 4 in the morning!)

Oh the list goes on and on. Yes, the Pollyanna in me keeps a running list of these things to focus on and to be thankful for especially when life is a bit overwhelming! In my opinion, we ALL need to make a favorite thing/thankful list! It sure helps chase away the unhappiness and discontentedness that tries to creep in!   :)


God is great but sometimes life aint good

And when I pray
It doesn't always turn out like I think it should
But I do it anyway
(Thank you Martina McBride)



1 comment:

Cathy said...

gonna have to try this recipe out!!! =)