Pages

November 24, 2010

Prepping For Gravy!!

I've decided to re post this one!! This method makes an incredible gravy!! I looked it up to re-read myself and thought that if you read my blog, perhaps you'd like to read it again too! :) I'm preparing for my Thanksgiving meal today and have decided to make up some browned flour to have on hand in a canning jar! Sounded like a great idea to me! Have a blessed day everyone!

One thing that I'm really excited about.....
is that I've FINALLY learned how to make an AWESOME gravy after all these years! :) I hope that wasn't a huge let down and I know some of you are laughing at me right now, that's ok! You won't be laughing after I explain how I did it!! :)
First I've been having fun looking through a few 'recipe' websites and I happened to stumble onto this gravy recipe. The blog owner (Food In Jars) explained that her father liked to make sure he had enough gravy to last through the ENTIRE turkey leftovers. Well, that intrigued me right away so I watched their video... and viola!



I actually made it this way tonight for a pot roast! Pete was wondering what I was doing.... cooking flour in a pan all by itself! Hmmmm, I told him I was trying an experiment and if it worked, he'd LOVE IT! :) Well it did... and he did... we ALL did... (do you know how hard that feat is in a family of 6!) OK, here goes.....





Start with a cup or two of white flour in a dry pan over medium heat. Keep stirring with a wooden spoon while the heat is on medium.... it doesn't take too long!!
In a short time it is nice and browned! It does have a funny smell while it's cooking, so be sure to continue stirring so it doesn't burn! The shades of flour turn from white to light tan to a darker tan. It is recommended that you let the flour cool, then sift out the larger chunks of flour so the gravy won't be lumpy.
Now is the time to add the juices from your meat! Heat and stir with a whisk until it thickens! (You can also use a canned broth with great results.)

A perfect gravy!! Try it... I bet you'll love it too!

No comments: