Pages

October 10, 2011

Have You Ever Tried Mincemeat?

I've heard of mincemeat.
 I've said no thank to mincemeat.
I've looked at recipes
for making things with mincemeat.
And then, I've put those recipes away!

And now, finally...
I trying my hand at MAKING mincemeat!
(I will admit, it is at my husband's request!)

OK, it is on the stove top.....
I just tasted it for the FIRST TIME EVER.

I have to admit, it wasn't bad!

Pete's 89 year old aunt shared this recipe
with me ... so I had to try it!

Green Tomato Mincemeat
2 Quarts ground green tomatoes
2 Quarts ground apples (firm apples)
4 Cups brown sugar
1 1/2 Cups vinegar
3 Cups raisins
3 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
3/4 tsp. allspice
3/4 tsp. pepper (I used 1/2 tsp.white pepper)
2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. mace (I used nutmeg instead)
3/4 Cups butter
Chop apples & tomatoes and drain.
Add this and the remaining ingredients
except the butter in a stock pot and
bring to a boil. Simmer for 3 hours.
Add the butter and stir in until melted.
OK, here is what I did. I read a few
other recipes, including the one in the
Ball Blue Book. In the Ball book, it
said to combine all the ingredients and
simmer for 15 minutes then ladle into
hot jars and PRESSURE CAN both
quarts & pints for 90 minutes!

So, I compromised... I used Pete's aunt's recipe
with the exception of mace. I didn't have any.
When I looked it up to see just what it was,
I discovered it was kinda like a peppery nutmeg,
so I used nutmeg instead!

Also, since I wasn't
sure about NOT at least water bathing the
jars, I decided to follow the Ball Book
instructions to be on the safe side and
used the pressure canner!

This recipe made
3 quarts and 3 pints
AND 3/4 cup that I held out!

NOW... to try this stuff in a recipe!

SOFT MINCEMEAT COOKIES
1/4 Cup softened butter
3/4 Cup brown sugar
2 eggs
3/4 Cup mincemeat
1 1/2 Cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Cup Choc. chips
1/2 Cup chopped walnuts (optional)

In a mixing bowl, cream the butter &
brown sugar. Add the eggs & mincemeat
and mix well. Add the dry ingredients and
mix well before adding the chocolate chips
and walnuts. Bake on GREASED cookie
sheets at 350* for 10-12 minutes or
until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
Yield: about 4 dozen.



I shared this on Healthy 2Day Wednesdays and
Simple Lives Thursday!
Go check out the other wonderful posts!

No comments: