Pages

October 15, 2011

Grape Jelly

  My mom called the other day....  she had LOTS of
grapes on her vines and would I like some!?
OH YEAH....  we're in business now!


First of all I needed to get the majority of
the vines & twigs out of the grapes!


 I added just a little bit of water...  maybe 1 to 1 1/2 cups
so they would begin to boil and smoosh easily!
Handy old potato masher mashes them down
really easily and within the hour the grapes are
simmering and the juices are smelling sooo good!


Using one of my favorite kitchen tools.... the
'Foley Food Mill'  the seeds, skins random twigs
all get separated on top and the juices and 'meat'
press through the mill into a pot or bowl below!


Voila! In no time at all the juice is ready
for
JELLY MAKING!


32 Cups of grape juice.....


Grape Jelly

5 Cups grape juice
1 Box of Sure-Jell


Bring this to a boil and then add
7 Cups of sugar and bring back
to a roaring boil (stirring continuously!)

 Boil for a full minute (or two). Skim the foam
from off the top and then carefully
pour into canning jars. Seal with lids and rings.
Each batch makes approx. 8 cups of jelly!

NOTE:
DO NOT DOUBLE THE RECIPE!
JELLIES & JAMES NEED TO BE MADE IN
SINGLE BATCHES...  ALWAYS!

They all must be put into a boiling bath for 5 minutes.
Remove from the water and allow to cool!
Store in a cool dark area!

Here are two of the 5 batches I made today!!
I always put the little bit of leftover jelly
in a mug for immediate use!

I'd like to figure out a recipe to make
BBQ sauce with grapes.
I did do a search and found the
grape jelly and add stuff to it, but I
wonder if there is a way to just
make and can the BBQ sauce ahead of time?!
Hmmm, gonna have to think on that one ...
I know more grapes are on the way next week!

I shared this on Simple Lives Thursday!
Go check out what other fun ideas have
been shared this week....

2 comments:

Sandy@American Way Farm said...

Looks wonderful, and I can just imagine the smell! I love homemade jellies. For BBQ sauce I use 1 large jar of grape jelly and 1 or 2 big bottles of BBQ sauce, depending on how sweet or spicy you like it. I don't see why you couldn't make it up ahead of time and can it the way you would just straight sauce.

michelle5959 said...

AHHH! I'm thinking if you make anymore of these posts on here I'm going to have to post my grocery order! Or I'm gonna really make time for coffee with you and I'll bring the bread for toast if you supply the jelly LOL. Oh heck~ I think I'm coming with my sleeping bag and we can have spaghetti for dinner and toast and jelly snack before our pancakes/waffles & maple syrup for breakfast ;)