Pages

September 12, 2010

Strawberry-Mango Jam September's STONE/PITTED FRUIT Can Jam

Back in February while I was looking for something to do with carrots, I
stumbled onto this recipe. It sounded amazing so I jotted it down
on the bottom of a carrot relish recipe! Now, the long awaited chance to
use a fruit I've only eaten fresh.... but never tried to preserve!

Here's the mango ...  doesn't look too special does it?
But, with a quick slice of the knife, peeling off the skin and
releasing it from the rather large, long & skinny pit, is the
lucious, sweet tasting fruit!
Two pounds of strawberries, washed and sliced ...  after mashing them
they equal approximately 2 cups!

 Here's the recipe!!
STRAWBERRY-MANGO JAM
(I think it was from cdkitchen.com, but I'm not 100% sure!)
Makes about 6 eight ounce jars

1 Quart strawberries (washed, hulled and mashed to 2 cups)
1 1/2 Cups finely chopped, fully ripened mangos (about 1 1/2 medium)
1/3 Cup lemon juice
6 Cups sugar
1 Pouch Liquid Pectin

Combined the fruit, sugar & lemon.
Bring to a boil for one minute, boil hard.
Remove from the heat and add 1 pouch pectin.
Stir till well blended, bring to a boil again.
Skim off foam (if desired).
Ladle into jars and seal with lids & rings.
Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.
 Here is the most incredible tasting jam I think I've made all year!
My family loves it and said if there was a country fair nearby, this recipe
would earn a blue ribbon! So, I think it is safe to say that this will become
an annual 'must make recipe' for the jams & jellies section of the pantry!

1 comment:

RJ Flamingo said...

This looks luscious! I thought about using mangoes as my "stone fruit" for Can Jam, but wasn't sure it qualified. Seeing yours, I realize I shouldn't have been so timid. Lovely!