Pages

August 23, 2008

Blueberry Picking.... Plum Picking..... ALMOST time for Apple Picking!

This year, I've made blueberry jam and froze bags of blueberries for pies, pancakes & muffins!! It still isn't as many as we use to pick, but I'm not complaining! I think blueberries are the best of God's creations in the fruit department! YUMMY! (Not only yummy, but VERY healthy too!) Thanks Mom for sharing your bounty!Years ago when I worked at Plymouth State College (now PSUniversity), a co-worker 'Joyce' would make plum jelly. I had NEVER heard of making jelly from plums, but when I tried some... OH MY WORD WAS IT DELICIOUS! It has been 20 years since I've worked there and FINALLY we have plums (fresh grown) enough to make some myself!! Pete helped his aunt (thank you) pick her plums.... I think this has been the most I've ever seen come from that tree! WOW!!
My first attempt I made plum jam (using the juice, flesh & skins) and my next attempt will be to make jelly (ONLY the juices)! I will be cooking down the plums today..... straining out the juice today & tomorrow and then making the jellies on Monday! These are little 4 oz. jars... they stand 2 1/4 inches tall!!
The weather we've been having is my all time favorite..... chilly mornings & evening and a sunny day with a slight breeze!! It just doesn't get any better then this!! BUT... it sure makes one want to go find an apple tree! I'm not too sure what is going on, but usually I'm not in apple picking mood until mid to late September! (I HOPE THIS DOES NOT MEAN AN EARLY WINTER!)

PS. DID I MENTION THAT PETE, AUDREY & AUSTIN ARE ALL GOING BACK TO HONDURAS IN JANUARY?? THE TICKETS HAVE BEEN PURCHASED..... NOW THEY NEED TO RAISE THE REST OF THEIR FUNDS!

3 comments:

Lynette said...

Oh, yum!! You know, I had only ever had blueberry muffins and was convinced I did NOT like blueberries. I finally for the first time a few weeks ago made myself eat a blueberry. Now I love them!!! Gee, I wonder what else I might actually like! :) Your jam and jelly sound delicious.

Melanie said...

Hi Lynette,
I have to admit, I find this SHOCKING!! LOL They are my most favorite fruit!!! I'm glad you decided to give them another try!! The best way to eat them is fresh picked (still warm from the bush)on a bowl of cereal or a bowl of ice cream, or just by the handful... as you can see, I'm not too picky about how I eat them! :) ENJOY YOUR NEW FRUIT FIND!

mad4books said...

Melanie, if we ever get to see each other again...please remind me to show you my impression of my daughter picking blueberries with me in Virginia!

(When it comes to serious berry-pickin', she's a sloth/I'm a hummingbird.)