Pages

October 3, 2012

Bananas

How long to your bananas last before they start to turn brown? For years I've had bananas turn brown within just a few days. I always look for the green ones, but it never fails, I buy bananas over the weekend for that week of lunchboxes... but before we even get to midweek, they are starting to turn! I read somewhere... not to store the bananas still all attached in a bunch. No, I don't remember where I read this, but I thought I'd try it, I mean, why not?!

 
The last 3 times I bought bananas, I took them all apart. I kepr them in a bowl on the hutch, and sure enough, all three times... THEY STAYED YELLOW and each one made it into the lunch boxes!! YIPPIE!!! I wish I discovered this little piece of information YEARS AGO!

Check out Simply Lives Thursdays for more awesome ideas & recipes!!

1 comment:

Kathi Linz said...

Many fruits emit a gas that ripens them. If you separate bananas - not just take the bunch apart, but move them a small distance from each other - they will stay yellow longer.

It helps that it isn't as hot anymore. Heat turns them, too.