Pages

April 28, 2011

Baguettes... My First Attempt

I love to bake bread... this is my first attempt at baguettes and I thought I'd share the recipe and process with you!

CLASSIC BAGUETTES

INGREDIENTS

"STARTER"
1/2 C plus 3 TBsp cool water
1 Cup all purpose flour
Pinch of yeast (between 1/8-1/4 tsp.)

Mix well in a bowl. Place a clean kitchen towel over the bowl and allow it to sit at room temperature for about 14 hours. I did this the late in the afternoon the day before I wanted to make the baguettes! Also, I used a mason jar and very loosely put a lid on the jar.

"DOUGH"
All of the starter
1 tsp. yeast
1 1/4 Cup luke warm water
3 1/2 Cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar (optional)
Put all of the starter and add all the ingredients for 'dough' in a large mixing bowl. Mix very well with a wooden spoon or mixer (I use a wooden spoon). Knead well then place the dough aside in a warm place and cover with a kitchen towel. Allow it to rise for about 1 hour. Deflate and knead and then let it rise again for another hour... and repeat this step once more.

Divide the dough into three pieces and roll into 3 cylinders about 2 inches thick. You may want to flour your hands or surface to do this. Allow the dough to rest for about 30 minutes. (Grease the baking sheet)



Preheat oven to 400* and place a broiler pan on the lower rack. After the dough has risen, paint the tops with a little bit of water using a pastry brush. (The water prevents the knife from sticking in the wet dough.) Slash the loaves with three diagonal slices each and place them in a hot oven.


Pour 1 Cup of HOT tap water into the broiler pan and close the oven door quickly. Bake for about 25 minutes or until browned and firm to the touch. 

 




 

Allow them to cool and then
cut them up and enjoy!












This was a big hit with my family.... but EVERY kind of homemade bread goes over great!!

I shared this on "Sustainable Eats" website... where they host Simple Lives Thursdays. Check it out...

No comments: