Pages

April 7, 2008

KALE SOUP!!..

I thought I'd share a YUMMY recipe with you! I had some kale soup at a friend's house this winter and loved it!! After a few attempts I've come up with my own version of kale soup and if I do say so myself... it went over extremely well at home!! :)PLEASE FORGIVE ME... I FORGOT TO TAKE A PICTURE!! NEXT TIME I MAKE IT, I'LL TRY TO REMEMBER TO TAKE ONE AND ADD IT!

Kale Soup

6-8 links of sweet sausage (diced & cook in a large stock pot)

In some stores you can find sweet sausage NOT made into links... .this works best! OR you can also use ground pork and add the spices: 1 tsp sage, 1/4 tsp. savory, 1/4 tsp.thyme, 1 tsp. fennel seeds and 1/2 tsp. salt to 1 pound of ground pork.

When the meat is cooked through, add all the veggies, the boullion and enough water to cover the vegetables. Bring to a slow boil and allow to simmer until the sweet potatoes are soft (I allow a good hour + for this).

1/2 of a large Vidalia onion (diced) or more per your taste!
4-5 ribs of celery cut up
4-6 lge. carrots, peeled & cut up (or use baby carrots)
2-3 lge. sweet potato (peeled & diced)
1 TBsp. boullion... (I use Vegetable Better Than Boullion)

Then add:

Lge. bunch of kale... (use the curly leaves not the spines) We LOVE kale, sometimes I use 2 bunches of kale!
1+ tsp. curry  
2 tsp. basil

 Allow the flavors to continue to blend as it simmers for a while longer!!

This soup is wonderful served with *Saltines* and/or fresh bread!! Try it... I hope you'll like it!!

3 comments:

mad4books said...

I've never cooked kale...not ever...but this recipe sounds yummy.

One question...would spicy Italian sausage work? I don't have any idea what "sweet sausage" is.

Melanie said...

I had never tried kale before having it at my friend's house... but it is now a favorite of mine!

I'm sure the spicy Italian sausage would work great! I think the sweet sausage just doesn't have the spices that would make it hot & spicey and yet it is not a breakfast sausage either...

Let me know how it comes out!! :)

michelle5959 said...

I make Kale Soup using a portuguese friends family recipe! He brings home some fresh made (from the butcher in Ma) Choico (spelling?) and also some Linguisa (again spelling?) remove the tough skins, chop, put into a pan of water and some chicken broth, Large curly kale, onion, carrots, potatoes (sweet potatoes sound awesome!) and let it simmer for a long time!! OH YUM!