Pages

July 20, 2012

Salt... the Cookie Reality Check!


I've been looking at the things I buy
for sodium content...

It never dawned on me to look at
the salt container to read how much
sodium is in each serving!

1/4 tsp of iodized salt has 590mg of sodium!

My chocolate chip cookie recipe calls
for 1 tsp. of salt which means I'm
adding 2360mg of sodium!!


AND... THAT'S NOT ALL!!

Have you ever checked out baking soda??

I've been baking since I was
about 10 years old.... 
and I've NEVER read the
nutrition facts of baking soda!

Serving size is 1/8 tsp and
the sodium content is 150mg.

Again, that same cookie recipe
calls for 1 tsp. which means I'm
adding another 1200mg of sodium!



YIKES!!!!
SO... for a recipe that makes maybe
36 cookies that is 3560mg of SODIUM!!

You do the math....  3560/36
means each cookie has
98.88888 (or 99mg) of
sodium per cookie!

(AND, that's only if there are NO other
ingredients with sodium in them!)

AND SERIOUSLY...
WHO EATS JUST ONE?!

Maybe I'm over reacting, but
that seems like a lot to me!

No comments: