Pages

March 23, 2011

Awesome Find at Goodwill Today... "Diet Soup" Recipe

I had some extra time today while waiting for my student to get
out of school, so I went to Goodwill! I ALWAYS check out
the book section... and today I am glad I did!
Look what I found...

"The Pleasure of Herbs"

"A Month by Month Guide to
Growing & Enjoying Herbs"
By: Phyllis Shaudys

Copyright 1986 by Storey Communications, Inc.

AND the best part...
it was ONLY
NINETY-NINE CENTS!


Before even leaving the school parking lot,
I found the first
recipe I was going to try!!

'DIET SOUP'
 (page 34)
I know, it sounds too good to be true... 
I remember the idea of this recipe
 from back in the 80's!

Here goes.... 

"Diet Soup"
(This will keep in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.)

1 Head Cabbage (cut up)
1 large onion  (I didn't have one on hand, I used onion powder)
2 Cubes low-sodium beef bouillon (I used vegetable 'Better Then Boullion')
1 large can tomato juice (I used my own canned tomato/basil sauce/soup stock)
1 package frozen cut green beans
1 medium sized can diced tomatoes
1 tsp. each celery seed, garlic powder, parsley,
thyme and black pepper (I used celery salt, garlic powder & parsley)
Optional, but nice: diced celery, carrots, and green pepper slices
(I used matchstick carrots ... next time I'd add a bit more of them & diced celery!)

Add the cabbage, onion, carrots, celery 
and bouillon cubes to tomato juice.
When the cabbage is half cooked, add the green beans,
tomatoes and seasonings. (I added a little extra water too!)

Simmer on the stove top until the veggies are soft.
Serve and enjoy!

The flavor is even better then I remembered!


No comments: