Pages

June 16, 2010

I FINALLY Tried it For Myself!!!

Even though I've been canning for a lot of years now, one thing I've always wanted to do, but never tried before was canning my own soups! WELL... I did some research both in my Blue Ball Canning Book as well as online and I came up with this recipe!! I have to tell you... it really wasn't hard at all! What took me so long to give this a try?
I cheated and used baby carrots in order to avoid the step of
peeling them all! I used my food processor and sent through
3 pounds of carrots in no time at all and I did the same
with the celery!
Here we go...  the veggies & chicken meat all ready for the assembly line!
I boiled down the chicken (I used 4 good sized hens) and
picked off all the meat and cut it up into bite sized pieces.
1/2 cup of chicken
1/2 cup diced celery
1/4 cup diced onions
1/2 cup diced potatoes
1 cup sliced carrots
1 TBsp. fresh chopped parsley
and chicken broth (cooked with salt in it)
Introducing the pressure canner....  I have NO idea
how old my beloved canner is, but it is at least
30 years old, since I've
had it for a minimum of 25 years now!!
Depending on where you live (altitude does make all
the difference) will determine how long you cook it
and at how many pounds of pressure.
For me, once it gets to 11 pounds we let it cook for
90 minutes for quarts! IF YOU HAVE NEVER
USED A PRESSURE CANNER... PLEASE
DO RESEARCH AND GET INPUT FROM
                                               OTHERS BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT THIS!
Here are 7 of the 14 quarts of chicken soup
that we made! Can't wait to try it!

P.S. The water bath method is safe for HIGH acid foods (tomatoes, jellies & jams which use sugar, pickles which generally calls for vinegar.) The pressure canner is for LOW acid foods... veggies, meats etc.
Read up on food preservation methods... it can be a wonderful family activity! :)

2 comments:

Taylor said...

I have always wanted to try canning ready-made soups, but I'm so scared of them! I just feel like so much could go wrong, and I also worry about how everything will hold up once it has been processed for so long! Have you tried this soup yet? How did it taste?

Melanie said...

We haven't tried it yet... it has been too hot for eating soup! I have always been a bit nervous myself, but after doing alot of reading etc. and listening to some youtube videos gave me the courage to try it!! :)Check out on youtube the homestead series how to can. They have some very good info!! Thanks for the question!