Pages

November 9, 2011

Apples....

Just when you think you're finished....  someone you love brings home a bushel of apples! No, I'm not complaining. I made applesauce, we ate lots of them fresh, I've made apple pizza, apple bread, apple cake...  and now, I'm trying something new to me!

Freezing Apple Pie Filling

24 cups sliced, peeled baking apples (6-7lbs.)
3 TBsp. lemon juice
4 1/2 Cups sugar (I use half brown, half white)
1 Cup Cornstarch
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
10 Cups water

In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and set aside. In a large kettle, over medium heat, combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt & nutmeg. Add water and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add apples, return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until apples are tender, about 6 - 7 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes. Ladle into freezer containers or freezer bags, 1 quart per container, and cool to room temperature before freezing! This is enough to make about five 9 inch pies!

After thawing, put it in a pie crust, dot with butter and seal with a top crust! I'm hoping it will be as yummy as it was smelling!

I made one and a half times the recipe, that's why there's more then 5 bags ready for the freezer!

No comments: