Pages

January 9, 2010

Here Is Step One...

Step one really isn't all that difficult! The hardest part was deciding on which container to use for refrigerator storage! :) It needs to be a container that is not be air tight and yet have a lid. My first thought was one of the rectangle storage containers because they aren't airtight at all, but I didn't have one available and I wasn't going to make a trip to the store & spend money for one! Last night, I discovered a perfect sized EMPTY container right in front of my eyes! (I had been using it for rice... but it was emptied last week! PERFECT!!)
Now add 6 cups of lukewarm water, 3 tablespoons of yeast, 3 tablespoons of course salt and 13 cups of white flour into the large container! Using a wooden spoon, mix until there are no dry patches of dough but don't knead or over mix it! This entire process took all of maybe 10-15 minutes! There is enough dough here to make 8 one pound loaves of bread! I opted to double the recipe as the book said, but the base recipe calls for 3 cups lukewarm water, 1 1/2 TBsp. yeast, 1 1/2 TBsp. course salt and 6 1/2 cups white flour. This will make enough dough for 4 one pound loaves of bread.

See, the dough is mixed but not smooth like when it is kneaded! Let it sit at room temperature for a couple of hours. It will rise and then collapse (the top will flatten). And now it is ready for the fridge!
Find a good spot in the fridge and slide it in.... it will be good for 14 days!!
(It can be frozen in 1 lbs. portions and thawed for later use too!) Here's the cookbook that I'm using! It says 5 minutes a day...  we'll find out for sure if that is true!
Tomorrow or Monday will be the real test....
 I'm hoping to make some to go with a baked ham dinner!

No comments: