Pages

May 5, 2010

Granola....

I'm trying a new recipe... well, sort of! I've made granola for a while now and have made different variations of similar recipes! I found an awesome recipe at  Food In Jars  for granola. Her recipe is very similar to the recipes I use, with the exception of 'brown rice syrup'. I'd never heard of it before ...  so naturally, I went on a search (both online & in the store).
What I discovered is that this stuff is: Brown Rice Syrups are one of the best alternatives to tame the roller coaster ride of your blood-sugar levels while continuing to pamper your sweet tooth. BRS are quite healthy and mild with a buttery flavor and delicate sweetness, which makes it an ideal choice for baking & desserts. (This information taken from this link: BrownRiceSyrups.com )

So with that said....  I took a couple of recipes and combine them to make my version of granola using the new brown rice syrup!

Granola Recipe
6 cups rolled oats
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2-3/4 cup sunflower seeds
3/4 - 1 cup wheat germ
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup brown rice syrup
1/4 cup honey

In a large bowl (make sure you have plenty of room to mix), combine the oats, seeds, nuts and wheat germ. Sprinkle the cinnamon and salt in and toss all the ingredients to combine.

In a small saucepan, heat the brown rice syrup and honey until it’s warm. Pour it over the granola and mix it in with a wooden spoon. (tip: lightly spray the wooden spoon with veg. oil to keep the honey mixture from sticking to it!)

Spread it out in a larges roasting pan and bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes, mixing with a wooden every 10 minutes so that it toasts evenly.

After the 30 minutes take the pan out to cool for a little while.... but then mix it around with the wooden spoon so that it doesn't stick to the pan or get too clumpy. When it has totally cooled, store it in a sealed container.....  (ziplock bag, large pretzel container, mason jars or a large glass pickle jar works great!)

It should keep for 2-3 weeks....  we usually have eaten it all up by then!  ENJOY!!

1st NOTE:  I could add 1/4 cup of peanut butter with the honey & BRS or add a teaspoon of cinnamon and/or a teaspoon or two of vanilla to the oats before adding the liquids.... but the flavor I got with the above combination was fantastic!! Don't know if I'd do anything differently next time! I guess it will depend on what I have one hand to put in it! :) 

2nd NOTE:  I tripled the recipe when I made this! The jar of BRS that I had was just a little bit shy of 2 cups, so I added enough honey to make a total of 3 cups and heated that up together! I need to start restocking all my ingredients so I can make this again when I run out!!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

FYI: It has a great flavor! I don't know if I'd do anything different next time! Pete likes to add it in with his regular cereal or on vanilla ice cream! Audrey likes to mix it in with fruit & yogurt!!

I like it in a bowl with cold milk & a spoon! :)

michelle5959 said...

I have been looking for a good granola recipe! This is a must try I think! Thanks!